Germans & the Civil War

Rudolph Lexow was a fellow revolutionary who owned a farm in Nanuet.  He introduced Blenker to Rockland County and helped him secure a job training cadets.  

<a href="/items/browse?advanced%5B0%5D%5Belement_id%5D=50&advanced%5B0%5D%5Btype%5D=is+exactly&advanced%5B0%5D%5Bterms%5D=Belletristisches+Journal">Belletristisches Journal</a>

Belletristisches Journal

Lexow was a newspaper man who started out working for Horace Greeley at the New York Tribune.  Eventually he started his own German language newspaper called the Belletristisches Journal.

<a href="/items/browse?advanced%5B0%5D%5Belement_id%5D=50&advanced%5B0%5D%5Btype%5D=is+exactly&advanced%5B0%5D%5Bterms%5D=1859+Map+of+New+City+with+Col+L.+Blenker+home+at+center">1859 Map of New City with Col L. Blenker home at center</a>

1859 Map of Orange and Rockland County

Col. Louis Blenker owned an extensive acreage near present-day Collyer Ave. and the corner of South Little Tor Road, not far from the Martinus-Hogancamp Cemetery.

<a href="/items/browse?advanced%5B0%5D%5Belement_id%5D=50&advanced%5B0%5D%5Btype%5D=is+exactly&advanced%5B0%5D%5Bterms%5D=1860+Census+showing+Louis+Blenker%27s+family+%28also+the+Eberling+family%29">1860 Census showing Louis Blenker's family (also the Eberling family)</a>

1860 Federal Census

Norman R. Baker states in his book The Way it was: an informal history of New City that Henry and Barbara Eberling were brought over by Blenker as "farmers and caretakers for his extensive acreage."